Nuffnang Ads

Followers

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

places i've prayed at

there's a tweet going around on praying in fitting room (especially applicable in countries with small Muslim community). No comment on that, just thought it's fun to share the places/spots I have performed my prayers, or even witnessed someone did.

1. Every Muslim student's favorite spot has got to be the library. When I was in Cali, I just took off my shoes and put socks on, but in Pittsburgh, especially during winter, I prefer to keep my boots on, occasionally taking them off. I'd lay out my mini towel (aka my sejadah), or handouts I just printed, or newspaper, or random plastic wrapper scattered around, very rarely did I pray without anything to cover the floor though, except for when it's carpet, and just pray.

2. Once I prayed in departing terminal of an airport, which I regret now for not remembering it. Pretty sure it was in 2018, so it could be when I was flying off to Egypt, most probably in JFK. Meh my memory sucks. So yeah, there's no prayer room in JFK, sucks, for such a big airport you guys need one already. Not sure if they have meditation room though. Can't recall. And it was for Zohr jamak Asar prayer. I made sure there were not too many people around, then I spread my beloved mini towel (again) in front of a door (if I'm not mistaken, or was it a water fountain? I couldn't remember), and prayed. Good thing about Americans is, they just don't a fuck about you. And I love it.

3. It was most probably in 2015/16 when I just got in the States. Kak Piki asked me and Asiah out to SF. And, we prayed at an entrance of a store near Fisherman's Wharf. I know, crazy. And then came this one guy who opened the door from the inside, finding us with some weird yoga poses, and he went back inside. Pretty sure it was a very chilly evening.

4. This one was very recent. I went to NYC by myself for Spring Break 2019. I was in Uniqlo, and for some reason, I didn't pray in the fitting room. Maybe it was dirty, or not big enough, or I was just not thinking straight, I have no idea. So what I did was, I went to the information counter, talked to the sweet lady, "Hey you mind if I use some space here behind the counter? I'd be quick," and no, she didn't mind, or at least that's how she chose to portray herself as, a thoughtful Uniqlo lady to a random girl in headscarf. And the kiblat was facing the customers in front of the counter who were being served by the nice thoughtful young lady. Oh my I've been in America for 4 years by that time, I'd pretty much mastered the art of not giving a single fuck.

5. You see this everywhere in NYC, especially in Times Square area. Cab drivers, shawarma guys, halal hot dog vendor uncles, they just pray wherever they like. I've seen them on the boot of the cab and the busy sidewalk. Could be other places I couldn't think of.

6. This was over our California-Nevada-Arizona winter road trip, the night after a patrol man sent us some help as we ran out of gas on ET Highway. That's right. Atiqah was behind the wheel after that, and I was dead asleep, until a superbly handsome policeman knocked the window, my side of window on the left passenger side, saying they received a call about drunk driver. This was at a petrol station. I swear I can't stop laughing as I'm writing this. Anyway, point is, it was for Subuh, I guess I was very grateful that we were still alive at that moment that I decided to go outta the car and pray in the freezing winter morning air. I could've just prayed in the car, but nope.

7. Everyone has done this. Praying in a moving vehicle -  bus, train, car. Yeah. I do this all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment